The mission of the Westbrook Public Library is to enrich the quality of life in the community and surrounding area by providing informational, educational, cultural and recreational materials for the promotion of lifetime learning, meeting the interest of all ages, in a welcoming, respectful and professional atmosphere.
What We Offer
The Library has over 16,000 books, 1000 DVDs, 550 audio books, 29 magazine titles, 4 public access computers and Free WiFi. We provide services for printing, scanning, copying and faxing. We also provide both adult and youth programs throughout the year.
The Westbrook Women’s Civic Club started the Westbrook Public Library in about 1917. Each member contributed books from time to time, and the club also had various projects to earn money to purchase more books. In the early years each member took her turn at working the library. A group of three Civic Club members were elected to serve as a Library Board. Mrs. Adolph Peterson was hired as the first librarian. In 1953 Mrs. Edna Carlson was hired as the librarian and by that time the library had been in four different locations. In the 1970s, the city purchased a vacant grocery store building on First Avenue and the library remained there until 1992 when it moved to the present location, also on First Avenue. The library was re-modeled in 2012 which doubled the size and made it so much more comfortable.